The Carmelite presence in Delgany dates back to 1844 when, at the request of the Parish Priest of nearby Kilquade, a monastic community was founded from Warrenmount in Dublin. Our monastery was dedicated on 7th. December, 1844, to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The picture to the left shows some early building work to the parish church and the monastery.
In July, 2005, following a rebuilding and modernisation programme, we opened and rededicated our new monastery. The new building in the heart of Delgany symbolises what we believe to be the universal call to places apart. It consolidates over 160 years of prayer on this site, and points to the renewal and growth of our Carmelite essence.